Main Specialized Subjects: business, commerce, marketing.
Additional Specialist Subjects: metallurgy, engineering, computers.
Yakov V. Tomara
(Citizen of Ukraine, male, b. in 1962 in Russia, lived in Russia in 1962-1979 and since 1979 - in the overwhelmingly Russian-speaking East Ukrainian city of Donetsk)
Mother Tongue: Russian.
Main Language Pairs: English-Russian; French-Russian; Italian-Russian;
Main Areas of Expertise: Business, Commerce, Marketing.
Additional Areas of Expertise: Metallurgy, Engineering, Computers.
Foreign Languages Courses Completed
German Language Course at Donetsk National University (2005 - 2006)
German Language Course at the Regional Scientific & Technical Library (1993-1994).
Italian Language Course (private course, 1989).
Spanish Language Course (private course, 1988).
Course of English and Russian Patent and Technical Documents Translation at Donetsk Polytechnic Institute (1983-1984).
Donetsk Polytechnic Institute, Postgraduate Course (1987-1990).
Dissertation defended; degree of Candidate of Science in Economics (nearly MBA level) obtained. Oral Examination in English as a foreign language called for under the postgraduate program passed (1989).
Donetsk Polytechnic Institute, Economics Department (1979-1984).
Diploma in Engineering Economics with distinction
Foreign Languages Skills
Ukrainian: Full oral and written comprehension, experience of translation (from/into Russian, English, French).
English: Fluent, experience of translation (into Russian, French; from Russian, Ukrainian, French, Italian, Spanish, German), consecutive interpretation (Russian/English).
French: Fluent, experience of translation (from/into Russian, Ukrainian, English), consecutive interpretation (Russian/French).
Italian: Good knowledge, experience of translation (from/into Russian and English), consecutive interpretation (Russian/Italian).
Spanish: Good knowledge, experience of translation (mainly business-related texts, from/into Russian and English), consecutive interpretation (Russian/Spanish).
German: Good reading and writing, medium-level conversation skills, experience of translation (into Russian and English).
Chinese: Basic skills, experience of translation (simple texts, into Russian and English).
1. Over 20 freelance translation projects in 2000-2005 for companies from US, UK, Russia, France, Ukraine, Germany, Finland, Italy including the following large projects:
- Proofreading of dictionary articles for the English- Russian dictionary of international economics and business to be published in St Petersburg, Russia (2005)
- Expert review of New English-Russian Dictionary of Financial Management, ISBN 5-902-402-08-5, and New English-Russian Dictionary of Financial Markets, ISBN 5-902-402-09-3 (2004)
2. Company: Ogneupornerud Joint Stock Company (producer and exporter of ceramic clays, Donetsk-based)
Position: Business Development Manager (Feb 2006 – present time)
- Organization of work of the Company’s Business Development Department.
- Drafting contracts, agreements, commercial offers, letters of credit and other business documents (mainly in Russian, English, Italian).
- Handling shipping documentation (mainly in English language).
- Monitoring of export sales;
- Participation in commercial negotiations held in Russian, English, French, Italian and Spanish (consecutive interpreting or participation in discussions in one of the above languages).
- Day-to-day telephone/fax/e-mail contacts with foreign partners (in English, French, Italian and Spanish).
- Analysis of commercial and economic information from various Ukrainian and foreign publications;
- Advertising management
3. Company: KERAMET Joint Stock Company (trader in steel scrap, refractory products, ceramic clays, Donetsk-based)
Positions: Assistant to Director General (Dec 1995 - Apr 1996), Assistant to Director for Marketing (Apr 1996 - Jun 2000), Deputy Director for Marketing (Jun 2000 – Feb 2006).
- Handling shipping documentation (mainly in English language),
- Day-to-day telephone/fax/e-mail contacts with foreign partners (in English, Italian and Spanish),
- Participation in commercial negotiations held in Russian, English, French, Italian and Spanish (consecutive interpreting or participation in discussions in one of the above languages),
- Maintaining of business correspondence and preparation of contracts, agreements, letters of credit and other business documents (in Russian, Ukrainian, English, French, Italian, Spanish and German),
- Analysis of commercial and economic information from various Ukrainian and foreign publications,
- Preparation of advertising documents (in Russian and English).
Position: Chief Programmer (Jul 1992 - Dec 1995).
- Development of software for automation of records kept on production and shipments as well as accounting software (work with software manuals in English),
- Training of personnel in work with computers,
- Sales of computers, peripheral devices and accessories.
4. Company: MIDO International, Ukrainian-Liechtenstein joint venture (producer of furs, Donetsk-based).
Position: Part-time translator and interpreter (1994-1997 and 2000-2002).
- Translation and interpretation works including the translation of the company by-laws, sales contracts and business correspondence. Language pairs: Russian-Italian and vice versa, Russian-English and vice versa.
5. Organization: Donetsk Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Position: Part-time translator (1992-1994).
- Translation of technical texts. Language pairs: English-Russian, Italian-Russian and German-Russian.
6. Organization: Regional Business School affiliated with Donetsk Polytechnic Institute.
Position: Head of Computer Equipment Laboratory (Aug 1991 - Jun 1992).
- Development of software ordered by enterprises (using software manuals in English).